From the cradle of orthopaedics to a multi-specialities centre.
The beginnings. How it all began.
The history of the Orthopädische Klinik München begins in 1896 and in inseparablly tied to the name Professor Fritz Lange. In this year he came to Munich with the firm decision to solely dedicate his work to the still young and professionally non-independent field of orthopaedics. In 1910, chance brought him together with the local politician Dr. Heim, whom he tells about the "wretched existence of the crippled" (which is how people with visible disorders of the movement system used to be called): The options for treating orthopaedic disorders are inadequate and the space available to the increasing number of children seeking admission can no longer cope. Dr. Heim then made a proposal in the local "Landtag" (state parliament) which provided for the construction of two independent facilities: a new building of the state institution for crippled children and the orthopaedic clinic.
Eventful years. From the opening to the post-war years.
On 1st December 1913, the Orthopaedic clinic is finished and is opened with 70 beds for patients. It is the first state orthopaedics clinic in Germany. It is officially opened in the presence of the royal family on 26th March. With the outbreak of the First World War, the clinic is shut down. One month later, both the orthopaedic clinic and the state institution for crippled children are converted into a field hospital. In the nineteen-twenties the clinic is continuously developed and expanded. The bed capacity is increased to 250 beds, large laboratories and special workshops are built which also make the clinic the first research facility for orthopaedics in Germany. This is the work of the orthopaedist and founder Dr. Gustav Krauß, who left the clinic 1.5 million Reichsmarks in his will. During the Second World War the clinic is destroyed during a bomb attack on Munich. After the end of the war it is repaired under the new clinic manager, Prof. Dr. Georg Hohmann, and experiences a flourishing period.
From a state clinic to successful privatisation.
In 1996, the clinic was threatened with closure and so was privatised. Since then, more than 90 mln. euro has been invested in the building, state-of-the-art medical technology and comfort for the patients and numerous new jobs have been created. The effect of these investments can be clearly expressed by three values: The number of operations has increased five fold since 1996 to the present day figure of over 8,000 per year. The measured quality indicators are far better than the national average. 99.1 percent of the patients questioned in 2006 would recommend the clinic to others. This is a top value, even within the Schön Kliniken. In other words: the patients are very satisfied, the medical quality is above-average and capacity utilisation is high. The basis for this success was a clear concept and consistent implementation of the necessary steps.
Back at the top of orthopaedics. The clinic today.
Almost 100 years after it was founded and ten years after its privatisation, the Schön Klinik München Harlaching is today a multi-speciality centre for orthopaedics and is back in the position which once earned it the honourable name of the "cradle of orthopaedics". This is also substantiated by the numerous persons in public life who have been treated here.
About the Schön-Kliniken
The Schön Kliniken are a clinic group with private funding (Schön family) specialising in orthopaedics, neurology, surgery, psychosomatic medicine and internal medicine. Today there are fifteen clinics throughout Germany, as legally independent units, under the umbrella of Schön Klinik Management SE, Prien am Chiemsee. Ten clinics are in Bavaria, two in Schleswig-Holstein, two in Hesse and one in Hamburg. The clinic group with a total of more than 4000 beds has a total workforce of around 6150 employees. In 2007, its turnover rose from 378 to 413 million euro. At the same time, the number of in-patient cases rose to around 72,000.